Friday, May 11, 2018

LEADERSHIP STAFF SPOTLIGHT: Learn more about Shasta Sitton

We asked Shasta Sitton a few fun questions. Leadership Staff Spotlight is designed to help you get to know our awesome team of Leadership Staff a little better. Shasta lives in Michigan and is and an avid author and hunter.


If you could only hunt in one season which one would it be? Fall whitetail 

What’s your favorite location to hunt? I live and hunt in Michigan the most, but I do love to do travel hunts as well. My favorite so far was a fallow deer hunt in Croatia.

Who introduced you to hunting? My mom and dad

What do you hunt for?  Whitetail, elk, bear, turkey, predators

What hunting skill would you like to master? Long distance shooting

What’s your biggest hunting challenge? Finding the time to go. Between jobs, family, and my kiddo, it can be difficult to always find the time to get out. 

What would be the most amazing hunting adventure that is still on your bucket list? – Red stag in New Zealand. 

What hunting skill do you wish you knew more about? I would like to get better with my calls, particularly buck grunts and elk calls. 

What’s the hardest hunting lesson you’ve learned? That buck fever is a real thing. No matter what walks in front of you, you have to stay calm, take deep breaths, and take your time so you can make a good shot. 

If hunting was no longer an option for you what would you do with your time? I’m an avid hiker and enjoy it as much as hunting. So if I could no longer hunt, I’d definitely put hiking at the top of my list. 

What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation? Getting kids involved in the outdoors and hunting. I strongly believe that we owe it to our children to expose them to nature as they are getting less and less of that in their everday lives. That’s one of the main reason that I started my publishing company, Whitetail Press, and write children’s outdoor books. I have three out so far: “Wyatt’s First Whitetail,” “Grace Goes Bowhunting,” and my new release, “Grace and Wyatt’s Fishing Adventure.” My books teach hunting safety, morals, and the importance of respecting nature. 

How many pairs of hunting boots do you own? 2

What style of hunting are you most passionate about? Definitely whitetailal with either a bow or a rifle. I enjoy both very much.

NON – HUNTING RELATED 

What do you like most about Shoot Like A Girl’s Mission? I love that Shoot Like A Girl is able to expose so many women to shooting. It can be a really intimidating process to learn to shoot a gun or a bow. Having other women there who can make the process easier is exactly what we need. Women learn and teach differently than men. Shoot Like A Girl is an amazing organization. 

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time? Probably read more or do my yoga on a more consistent basis. 

What hobby would you get into if time and money weren’t an issue? I’d definitely travel more. I absolutely love experiencing new cultures and seeing everything this amazing world has to offer.

What non hunting related skill would you like to master? Fly fishing

What are you interested in that most people haven’t heard of? Shed hunting. I LOVE shed hunting. It combines two of my loves; deer antlers and hiking. I spend most of my late winter and early spring in the woods looking for sheds. 

What’s the farthest you’ve ever been from home? New Zealand. My hubby and I spent our honeymoon backpacking through the south island. 

Where do you usually go when you have time off? To the woods. I’m very lucky to live in the middle of nowhere, so I can simply walk out my back door and be in the wild. I spend a lot of time hiking and exploring.

Who inspires you to be better? My 6 year old son, Wyatt. He is the sweetest little boy. He watches everything my husband and I do, so I always try my best to be a good role model for him. 

What are three interesting facts about you? 
During high school, my family of 5 gave up our house and we lived in a small camping trailer for two years as we moved around the northwest. 
I played college volleyball. 
I have my Master’s Degree in clinical psychology. I was a practicing mental health therapist for 6 years in Washington State before moving to Michigan to help manage a private hunting and fishing club.

What is your biggest fear? 
Something happening to my son or husband. Also ticks. 

If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be? 
I love a good salad bar. Sounds lame I know, but there’s a lot of variety and that could be helpful if it’s the only food I could eat for the rest of my life. On second thought, a nacho bar would be even better. 

List two pet peeves
 People chewing with their mouth open
People with no concept of personal space. 

Which of the five senses would you say is your strongest? 
My hearing. My sense of smell has always been pretty horrible, but I think my ears must have made up for that for some odd reason. I have very sensitive hearing. 

One thing that not a lot of people know you love to do? Read. I love to read a good book. Fiction only. I read every single day and enjoy it immensely. 

Mountains or Beach? Mountains for sure. I grew up in Northern Idaho and all of my family still lives there. Getting back to the Rocky Mountains feels like going home every time I visit. 

Anything else you would like to add? You can follow me on social media if you like. 
Facebook: @whitetailpress
Instagram: @shasta_whitetailpress
Twitter: @whitetailpress 

No comments:

Post a Comment