Friday, February 23, 2018

PRO STAFF/INSTRUCTOR SPOTLIGHT: Learn more about Firearms Instructor Janeen Wyatt

Pro Staff / Instructor Spotlight:  We asked Janeen Wyatt a few fun questions. Pro Staff / Instructor Spotlight is designed to help you get to know our awesome team of Pro Staff / Instructors a little better. Janeen lives in Oklahoma and is an avid firearms teacher and firearms instructor with SLG.



What are you most passionate about as an instructor?
Educating and empowering ladies to feel more protected by being more aware of their surroundings and knowing how to safely use there firearms.

What has been your biggest challenge as an instructor?
I am the leader of a ladies shooting group as well.  Keeping things fun and interesting for beginners and more advanced women is always something that can be challenging at times. Balance and offering different classes seems to be key.

What has been your greatest success story with teaching?
I have a lady in my group who was so scared and nervous about guns, but she was determined to learn because her husband had passed away. She finally conquered her fear and now is quite the shooter.  That is a great success story!

I also had a lady with very high anxiety come into the SLG trailer who thought she wouldn’t be able to shoot. With a lot of encouragement and some training, she shot very well and was so excited that she was able to do it.  That makes my heart happy!

I have had several ladies thank me because of things they learned in my Self Defense Situational Awareness class that has detoured them from being a victim. That is why I love what I do. If I can help one lady to not be a victim of a crime, it is all worth it.

What is your motivation to teach others how to shoot?
I teach firearm safety in order to help others not have a negligent discharge or possibly hurt themselves or someone else.

Another motivation is when a student has an “aha moment”.   Whether it’s regarding sight alignment or conquering their fears, I know I’ve done my job well.

How do you help ladies overcome their fear with shooting?
I remind them how they felt when they first learned to drive a car. How everything felt awkward and scary. Now you jump into the drivers’ seat of a car and drive to the store without really thinking about how you got there. Shooting becomes easier the more you do it as well. Anyone can overcome the feeling of being nervous just by getting more practice while still being cautious. Remember, guns are a tool, just like a Skil saw. Learn how to safely use them and always follow the safety rules, and you will be just fine.

Hunting Themed Q&A
 If you could only hunt in one season which one would it be?
Deer season

What’s your favorite location to hunt?
I am definitely a newbie at hunting, but my first experience was in a blind that had a swivel chair and a heater. I’m thinking this is a great way to hunt. LOL 😉

Who introduced you to hunting?
My wonderful husband.

What do you hunt for?
Deer so far, but I am wanting to try duck hunting too.

What hunting skill would you like to master? Since I’m a newbie, all of it.

What’s the hardest hunting lesson you’ve learned?
Sun in my eyes when looking through a scope at a deer  is hard to see the target. Remember I’m new to this, so I have a lot to learn. LOL

What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation?  
The fundamentals of firearms. I could also teach an awareness and a Self Defense Class pretty easy.

NON – HUNTING OR SHOOTING RELATED
What do you like most about the SLG shooting trailer?
I love interacting with all the different ladies who come into the trailer. I love knowing our team is making a difference in these ladies’ lives. All the hugs, high fives, and smiles lets me know how much they appreciate the help.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
My somewhat new hobby is oil painting. A great way to relax. I would also spend more time with my family and grand babies providing they didn’t require sleep too. :)

What hobby would you get into if time and money weren’t an issue?
I would love to travel more.  Cruising and snow skiing would definitely be on the list of adventures.

What non firearm related skill would you like to master?
Photography, I love capturing memories.

What non hunting related .. do you wish you knew more about?  Medical things.  I sometimes wish I would have gone to nursing school.

What are you interested in that most people haven’t heard of?
 I actually keep my license up as a cosmetologist. Although I don’t work at a shop,  it’s nice to get the discounts for hair products.
Oil painting and I would also love to learn how to fly fish.

What’s the farthest you’ve ever been from home?
My husband and I love to cruise. Puerto Rico and the surrounding islands were the farthest.

Where do you usually go when you when you have time off?  My sister and I married brothers,  so we enjoy going to TX to visit our siblings where they live.

Who inspires you to be better?
Jesus, if I can be more like Him, everything else falls into place.

What are three interesting facts about you?
I watch Self Defense  and oil painting videos for fun.  I’ve been married to my best friend for over thirty years.  I have three sons and almost three grandchildren, one is due any day now.

What is your biggest fear?
Losing someone I love.

If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be? Mexican of course.

List two pet peeves?
Someone who complains ALL the time and NEVER looks for the good in others. We all have situations we go through and need to vent at times to family or a close friend. I am talking about negative people as a whole, who never seem to be happy.  If your around that too much, it can rub off.

Which of the five senses would you say is your strongest?
Touch

One thing that not a lot of people know you love to do?
Oil Paint

Mountains or Beach?
That’s a hard one, I love both.  Since I love to cruise I will say beach.

Anything else you would like to add?

I feel very blessed to be able to use some of the gifts God has given me to help others.  He has opened doors for me to do the things I love and am passionate about. I am very grateful.  The best recipe for a happy life for me is...God First, my family second and everything else after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment