Thursday, February 26, 2015

What's In A Name - Shoot Like A Girl



There has been fantastic press for Procter and Gamble’s “Like A Girl” video.  I personally love it, because it echoes the sentiment behind Shoot Like A Girl. Doing anything “like a girl” is to be strong, confident and powerful. 

The foundation for the name Shoot Like A Girl began in 2002 when my friend, Anne Gueist, and I shot in an archery league together. Anne was a much better shot than I was, and I felt inspired to shoot like her. Her husband, who was also my coach, called us in the most lovingly way, “The Girlies.”  Both Anne and I accepted this moniker, partly because it was cute, and mostly because we were a good team. We were proud to represent girls at this 95% male league.  This term led to me buying T-shirts for us that read, “I Shoot Like a Girl”… and so the name was conceptualized.

When the company was incorporated in 2008, as SLG2, Inc., and Doing Business As: Shoot Like A Girl, it was official.  Of course, SLG stood for Shoot Like A Girl, and the number two, represents the power of two – archery and firearms. Of course, it also shows support for the 2nd Amendment. 

Brands normally have an identity associated with a company’s mission. Shoot Like A Girl’s mission is to “empower women to participate in shooting sports with confidence”; over the years it has progressed to “grow the number of women who participate in shooting sports by empowering them with confidence.” Our name embodies that mission. 


I often tell people that our brand doesn’t say, “Look at me, Look at me … I’m a girl!”; it confidently states, “That’s right, I’m a girl.” It is a powerful statement that says women can do anything we set our minds to do. We have asked for equality, and what we have is equal opportunity. Now, it is up to us to take advantage of that opportunity  and do anything – “like a girl”.

Karen Butler
President/Founder
Shoot Like A Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment