Friday, May 22, 2015

What's My Role? by: April Mack


What’s my role?

I recently had a conversation with my pastor (Sam) about my role in serving God... What is it? Where do I serve? Who can I help?
Now before I lose you completely, this conversation leads to one of my passions; teaching others to shoot and hunt.
But before I get into those details, let me continue with my conversation. The conversation went a bit along the lines of where I would fit into serving at the church, our church is young, so not a lot of existing programs for me to dive into. I do not feel confident enough with bible based knowledge to just create something on my own either. The few programs we do have in place are not where I feel I would be able to contribute effectively. Sam proceeded to tell me I am already serving in a sense.
You see, thanks to Face Book®, people get to see the example I set unknowingly albeit. I am a Christian and I do not hide it. I love to hunt and I love to shoot, I am not shy about divulging that either.

I recently spent a weekend teaching others to shoot shot gun for the first time in preparation for a pheasant hunt that same afternoon. Teaching someone that is barely able to handle, load and shoot a gun with extreme confidence is an amazing feeling add repeatedly hitting just about every clay pigeon they aim at into the mix and the feelings are indescribable. The excitement they display after being successful at hitting their targets is much like a proud parent moment.
Once practiced- we took those newly learned skills and put them to the test with the actual pheasant hunt. Some harvested birds, some did not. As sportsman men and women, spending time together in the field with a common bond and newly developed enthusiasm for shooting sports and hunting, despite the outcome, they all were very successful.
So, what IS my role? I believe it is just as I have been doing all along. Using my gifts and talents God has afforded me in leading others. Teaching those to shoot a bow safely, to handle a firearm confidently and having the tools to go out and pursue a newly found passion. I am serving God by serving others, teaching others to become part of such a unique and special community sportsman and women, hunters alike.
What’s your role?

April Mack is a certified level II archery instructor; Hunter Ed instructor for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife; Pro Staff member for Shoot Like A Girl (www.shootlikeagirl.com), Hunt Staff Member for Prois Hunting and Field Apparel for Women (www.proishunting.com)and VP of Tournaments for Oregon Bow Hunters (OBH). 

No comments:

Post a Comment